Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- IPA: /ˈʌndəɹaɪt/, /ʌndəˈɹaɪt/
- (transitive) To write below or under; subscribe.
- (transitive, intransitive, obsolete) To subscribe (a document, policy etc.) with one's name.
- (transitive) To sign; to put one's name to.
- (transitive) To agree to pay by signing one's name; subscribe.
- (transitive) Specifically, to assume financial responsibility for something, and guarantee it against failure.
- (intransitive) To act as an underwriter.
- The broker who procures the insurance ought not, by underwriting the policy, to deprive the parties of his unbiased testimony.
- (transitive) To support, lend support to, guarantee the basis of.
- (transitive) To submit to; put up with.