Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Australia) IPA(key): /wɑenˈwɑen ˌmɜːdʒə(ɹ)/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /waɪnˈwaɪn ˌmɜːdʒə(ɹ)/
- (Scottish English) IPA(key): /wəinˈʍəin ˌmɛɾdʒəɾ/
- (US, no wine-whine merger) IPA(key): /waɪnˈʍaɪn ˌmɝdʒɚ/
- (US, wine-whine merger) IPA(key): /waɪnˈwaɪn ˌmɝdʒɚ/
- Hyphenation: wine‧whine‧mer‧ger
- (phonology) A merger in which ʍ (the sound heard at the beginning of the word whine in a Scottish accent or several accents in the United States) becomes w (the sound heard at the beginning of the word wine); in accents where this merger occurs, whine and wine are homophones.