See also: תּפֿיסה
- תְּפִישָׂה (see usage notes)
- grabbing, holding tightly
- apprehension (i.e. to know something)
- comprehension, perception (i.e. to understand something)
- Some prefer to use the root ת־פ־ס (t-p-s) for physical senses and the root ת־פ־ש (t-p-sh), pronounced the same, for abstract senses. However, the Academy of the Hebrew Language states that this distinction has no historical basis as the latter is just the biblical spelling of the same root and was used also for the physical senses (See for example Deuteronomy 9:17).