A. N. Other
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From another, punctuated as if initials and surname.
A. N. Other
- (Britain) A formulaic name that is substituted for that of a person whose name or identity is not known, or not relevant; typically used when exhibiting an example.
1975, Bruno de Finetti, Theory of Probability: A Critical Introductory Treatment, page 62:
- For instance, how is the statement ‘A. N. Other is going to win the lottery the next time he plays’ to be evaluated if A. N. Other never plays again for the rest of his life?
1983, Jack Harvey, Modern Economics: An Introduction for Business and Professional Students, page 300:
- The broker, having arranged the deal, sends to Mr A. N. Other, or to the bank acting for him, a contract note (Figure 21.5).
- 2005, Helen Beckman, Suzanne Le Quesne, The Essential Guide to Holistic and Complementary Therapy, page 435,
- Take the following as an example, imagining yourself as a member of the general public, and compare example A with example B.
- Example A
- A.N. Other
- Dip Nut. FHT
- Example B
- Angela N. Other
- Diploma in Nutrition and Member of the Federation of Holistic Therapists