Appendix:Glossary of U.S. Navy slang/Unit nicknames
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Big E: Nickname for the USS Enterprise (CV-6), which won 24 battle stars during World War II, also known as the most decorated ship in the U.S. Navy. (Actually, the most decorated ship is the USS Parche (SSN-683), receiving a total of nine Presidential Unit Citations, ten Navy Unit Citations, and thirteen Navy Expeditionary Medal awards during her thirty years of service.)
- Big Gray Hate Maker: Term of endearment for the USS Blue Ridge (LCC-19).
- Big Stick: Nickname for the USS Iowa (BB-61), crew's nickname for USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71).
- Block-o-wood: Nickname for the USS Belleau Wood (LHA-3).
- Black Oil: Navy Standard Fuel Oil (NSFO)
- BMFH: Big Mother F*****n Hammer
- Bubble Head: A Submariner
- "B" Girls: USS Barbell SSN-580, USS Bonefish SSN-581 and USS Blueback SSN-582
- Chicken of the Sea, play on official slogon: Eagle of the Sea for USS Tarawa (LHA-1)
- Danger Ranger: USS Ranger CV/CVA-61
- FID: First In Defense: Nickname for the USS Forrestal (CV59).
- Fighting I: Nickname for the USS Intrepid (CV-11), now a museum ship in New York Harbor.
*FIGHTIN FIVE N DIME : Crews' nickname for the USS EATON DD/DDE 510
- Fighting Cock: Nickname for USS Saratoga CV-60
- Freddy NHPV: USS Wichita AOR-1
- Gray Eagle NHKG: USS Ranger CV/CVA-61
- Glitter Kilo NIBP: USS Guadalupe AO-32
- John Sore Penis: Nickname given to the aircraft carrier USS John C Stennis after it makes a port call in Australia and closes down all of the local brothels.
- Jolly Rogers: Crews nickname given to the Spruance class destroyer USS John Rodgers
- Jack of the Dust: The cook in charge of the galley storerooms.
- Latex Glove: Crews nickname given to the AEGIS cruiser USS Leyte Gulf
- Love Boat: Crews nickname given to the "USS McKee AS-41" submarine tender
- Love Muscle: Crews nickname given to the Arleigh Burke destroyer USS Russell
- Lone Ranger: USS Ranger CV/CVA-61
- Magnificent Seven: Term of endearment for the USS Henry B. Wilson (DDG-7)
- Midway Magic: Nickname for USS Midway CV-41, now a museum in San Diego
- Peter Rabbit: Nickname for the USS Paul Revere (APA/LPA-248)
- Pubic Mound: Crews nickname given to the destroyer tender USS Puget Sound
- Phrog: CH-46 Sea Knight
- Queer Barge: Nickname for the USS Kearsarge (LHD-3)
- Queer Baege: USS Kearsarge CV/CVA/CVS-33
- Stinkin' Lincoln: Crews nickname given to the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln
- Sand Dog: San Diego
- Skimmer: A target for a submarine.
- Skivvy Waver: Signalman (SM)
- Stew Burner: Commissaryman (CS)
- "S" Girls: USS Skate SSN-578, USS Swordfish SSN-579, USS Sargo SSN-583 and USS Seadragon SSN-584
Tommy the Tug, or Tommy the Tugboat, the crew's nickname for the USS Thomas s. Gates, after she towed a disabled ship in to port while operating in the Carribean.
- Turd Chaser: Shipfitter (SF)
- Turd Chaser: Hull Maintenance Technition (HT)
- TI: Naval Station Treasure Island
- Willy-B, Willy B: Nickname for the USS Wilkes-Barre (CL-103)
- Wicked Witch of the West: USS Wichita AOR-1