Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /juːˌnaɪtɨd ˈsteɪts/, /jʊˌnaɪtɨd ˈsteɪts/
- (General American) enPR: yo͞o-nī'tĭd stātsʹ, IPA(key): /juˌnaɪtɪ̈d ˈsteɪts/, [juˌnaɪ̯ɾɪ̈d ˈsteɪ̯ts], [jɪ̈-]
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪts
- Hyphenation: Unit‧ed States
- (in the singular) shortened form of
- 2012 April 29, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Treehouse of Horror III” (season 4, episode 5; originally aired 10/29/1992)”, in (Please provide the book title or journal name):
- “King Homer” follows the story of King Kong closely, with Mr. Burns taking the freakishly over-sized King Homer from his native Africa, where he lives proud as a simian god, to the United States, where he is an initially impressive but ultimately rather limited Broadway attraction.
- (in the plural) The collection of individual states of the United States of America.
- (military) Includes the land area, internal waters, territorial sea, and airspace of the United States, including:
- US territories, possessions, and commonwealths; and
- Other areas over which the U.S. government has complete jurisdiction and control or has exclusive authority or defense responsibility
- (nation's name) Federal nation consisting of several states, actual, historical or hypothetical.
- Republic of the United States of Brazil.
- The United States of Europe.
- (states of the United States) state of the United States; Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
- (countries of North America) country of North America; Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United States
the United States
- Joint Publication 1-02 U.S. Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms; 12 April 2001 (As Amended Through 14 April 2006)