Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Hawaiʻi
- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- 3 German
- 4 Italian
- (UK) enPR: həwīʹē, IPA(key): /həˈwaɪ.i/
- (US) enPR: həwīʹ(j)ē, həwäʹ(j)ē, həwŏʹ(j)ē, IPA(key): /həˈwaɪ(j)i/, /həˈwɑ(j)i/, /həˈwɔ(j)i/, [hʊ̈ˈwaɪ̯(j)i], [hʊ̈ˈwɑ(j)i], [hʊ̈ˈwɔ(j)i]
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -aɪi, -aɪji, -ɑi, -ɑji
- Hyphenation: Ha‧waii
- An Oceanian state of the United States of America. The capital is Honolulu, on the island of Oahu. It is the fiftieth state to join the United States. The nickname is the Aloha State. It is located from 19° to 23° N latitude, with the eight main islands from 155° to 162° W longitude and including many smaller islands extending westward.
- A chain of islands in the Pacific Ocean between North America and Oceania. Also called the Hawaiian Islands and formerly the Sandwich Islands. The larger islands are:
- The proper name of the largest of the Hawaiian Islands, also called the Big Island. The Big Island lies southeast of the other islands.
The standard spelling in the islands is Hawaiʻi, where the ʻ indicates a glottal stop or phonemic glide.
state of the United States
chain of islands
largest of the Hawaiian Islands
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- illes Hawaii (“Hawaiian Islands”)
Hawaii n (genitive Hawaiis)
Hawaii f pl