Jump to navigation Jump to search
- An archipelago and overseas territory of the United States in the Pacific Ocean. Official name: Territory of American Samoa. It is distinct from Samoa (formerly: Western Samoa).
- 1899 April 29, Friends' Intelligencer, volume LVI, number 17, Philadelphia, ISSN 0362-8965, OCLC 10359090, page 329, column 2:
- SECRETARY James G. Blaine, on April 11, 1889, instructed the American Samoa commissioners at Berlin that the plan of governing natives without their consent was "not in harmony with the established policy of this government."
- 2021 June 16, Kelleher, Jennifer Sinco, “American Samoa culture plays role in US citizenship ruling”, in AP News, archived from the original on 16 June 2021:
- In a decision citing American Samoa cultural traditions, those born in the U.S. territory shouldn’t have citizenship automatically forced on them, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday. […]
American Samoa is the only unincorporated territory of the United States where the inhabitants are not American citizens at birth. […]
Drawing on the views of the American Samoa people is one of the more gratifying aspects of the ruling, said Michael Williams, an attorney representing the American Samoa government, which intervened to oppose the lawsuit.
“It is also vindication for the principle that the people of American Samoa should determine their own status in accordance with Samoan culture and traditions,” he said.
- For more quotations using this term, see Citations:American Samoa.
US overseas territory in Oceania
|States: Alabama · Alaska · Arizona · Arkansas · California · Colorado · Connecticut · Delaware · Florida · Georgia · Hawaii · Idaho · Illinois · Indiana · Iowa · Kansas · Kentucky · Louisiana · Maine · Maryland · Massachusetts · Michigan · Minnesota · Mississippi · Missouri · Montana · Nebraska · Nevada · New Hampshire · New Jersey · New Mexico · New York · North Carolina · North Dakota · Ohio · Oklahoma · Oregon · Pennsylvania · Rhode Island · South Carolina · South Dakota · Tennessee · Texas · Utah · Vermont · Virginia · Washington · West Virginia · Wisconsin · Wyoming|
|Federal District: Washington, D.C.|
|Territories: American Samoa · Guam · Northern Mariana Islands · Puerto Rico · United States minor outlying islands · United States Virgin Islands|
- “American Samoa”, in Collins English Dictionary.
- “American Samoa, pn.”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–2022.
- American Samoa at OneLook Dictionary Search
- “American Samoa”, in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary
- “American Samoa” in TheFreeDictionary.com, Huntingdon Valley, Pa.: Farlex, Inc., 2003–2022.