Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English citations of abortionist
- 1.1 sense: "one who performs an abortion legally", use: by Americans who think abortion is murder
- 1.2 sense: "one who performs an abortion", use: in a context that otherwise seems neutral
- 1.3 sense: "one who performs an illicit abortion", use: apparently by an Irishman who supports of abortion being legal(?)
- 1.4 sense: "one who performs an illicit abortion", use: ?
- 1.5 ?
- 1.6 noun or adjective, "favoring..." or "one who favors abortion being legal"
English citations of abortionist
sense: "one who performs an abortion legally", use: by Americans who think abortion is murder
- 1994, Paul Jennings Hill, Why Shoot an Abortionist?
- quoted in 2010 by John Corrigan, Lynn S. Neal in Religious Intolerance in America: A Documentary History (ISBN 0807895954), page 248:
- The shooting resulted from Hill's interpretation of the Bible and the Christian faith. In his article “Why Shoot an Abortionist?,” Hill wrote, “I realized that using force to stop abortion is the same means that God has used to stop similar atrocities […]
- 2003, Mark Juergensmeyer, Terror in the Mind of God: The Global Rise of Religious Violence (ISBN 0520240111), page 24:
- According to Bray, "there is a difference between taking a retired abortionist and executing him, and killing a practicing abortionist who is regularly killing babies." The first act is in Bray's view retributive, the second defensive.
- 2004, Congressional Record, volume 144, part 14 (September 9, 1998 to September 21, 1998), page 20705:
- The head remains in the uterus while the abortionist kills the baby by stabbing scissors into the base of the child's head, […]
- 2009, Michael James Caughill, The Abortionist (ISBN 0595412424)
- The summary of the book is "It's not a choice, it's a must-read. The most-disturbing serial killer since Jeffery Dahmer is operating in downtown Milwaukee."
- 2009, Dinesh D'Souza, Letters to a Young Conservative (ISBN 0786739096), page 191:
- […] a gruesome procedure in which the abortionist dismembers a child who could survive outside the womb.
- 2012, Ann Coulter, Demonic: How the Liberal Mob Is Endangering America (ISBN 0307353494), page 220:
- If a black man ever shot an abortionist, liberal brains would explode.
sense: "one who performs an abortion", use: in a context that otherwise seems neutral
- 2000, John Scott, Social Network Analysis: A Handbook, second edition, page 36:
- The search for an abortionist involved the making of informed guesses about who might be able to help, either by providing the name of an abortionist or mentioning a further contact who might help. Lee found that women approached an average of 5.8 people before successfully contacting an abortionist, […]
sense: "one who performs an illicit abortion", use: apparently by an Irishman who supports of abortion being legal(?)
- 2005, Ray Kavanagh, Mamie Cadden: Backstreet Abortionist (ISBN 1856354598)
sense: "one who performs an illicit abortion", use: ?
- 2005, Paul Krassner, One Hand Jerking: Reports from an Investigative Satirist (ISBN 1583226966), page 24:
- In 1962, when abortion was still illegal, I published an anonymous interview with Dr. Robert Spencer, a humane abortionist who was known as “The Saint.”
- 2009–2010, Roger Ebert, Roger Ebert's Movie Yearbook 2010, review of 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, page 146:
- Then she asks her to go first to meet the abortionist. Then she neglects to make a reservation at the hotel the abortionist specifies. That almost sinks the arrangement: The abortionist has experience suggesting that hotel will be a safe venue, and suspects he may be set up for a police trap.
- 2007, Henry Miller, Sexus: The Rosy Crucifixion I, page 153:
- He's a Zionist, an anarchist, a Talmudist and an abortionist. A damned fine chap — and if you're in need of help he'll give you his shirt.
noun or adjective, "favoring..." or "one who favors abortion being legal"
- 2010, Carl Robinson, Shut Up and Listen!: The World According to Me (ISBN 1452086133), page 18:
- Liberals look for new ways all the time to further advance and promote their abortionist agenda. Bill Clinton tried to legalize RU486. When that failed the Liberals simply turned to embryonic stem cell research (more on that later).