Jump to navigation Jump to search
abortionist (plural abortionists)
- (now often historical) One who performs an illegal abortion in a non-medical setting (a back street, a hotel room, etc).
- 2005, Paul Krassner, One Hand Jerking: Reports from an Investigative Satirist, →ISBN, page 24:
- In 1962, when abortion was still illegal, I published an anonymous interview with Dr. Robert Spencer, a humane abortionist who was known as “The Saint.”
- 2009-2010, Roger Ebert, Roger Ebert's Movie Yearbook 2010, review of 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, page 146:
- Then she asks her to go first to meet the abortionist. Then she neglects to make a reservation at the hotel the abortionist specifies. That almost sinks the arrangement: The abortionist has experience suggesting that hotel will be a safe venue, and suspects he may be set up for a police trap.
- (chiefly in anti-abortion discourse, derogatory) An abortion provider; one who performs a legal abortion.
- 1998, J. David Bleich, Bioethical Dilemmas: A Jewish Perspective, volume 1, page 277:
- Such a fetus is perfectly viable save for the act of the abortionist.
- 2003, Mark Juergensmeyer, Terror in the Mind of God: The Global Rise of Religious Violence, →ISBN, page 24:
- According to Bray, "there is a difference between taking a retired abortionist and executing him, and killing a practicing abortionist who is regularly killing babies." The first act is in Bray's view retributive, the second defensive.
- (in anti-abortion discourse, offensive) One who favors abortion being legal. [since the late 19th century]
- (one who favours abortion being legal): anti-abortionist (one who opposes abortion being legal)
one who performs an illegal (backstreet) abortion
one who performs a legal abortion
one who favors abortion being legal
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- “abortionist” in Lesley Brown, editor-in-chief; William R. Trumble and Angus Stevenson, editors, The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on Historical Principles, 5th edition, Oxford; New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, 2002, →ISBN, page 7.