Jump to navigation Jump to search
abortionist (plural abortionists)
- (now sometimes offensive) A person who performs abortions, especially illegally or secretly. [from 1844]
- 1844 March 26, New-York Daily Tribune:
- Mad. Restell, the celebrated Abortionist [is arrested].
- 1848 October 7, “Morals and Murder – the Case of Eliza Wilson”, in The Medical Times, volume 18, number 471, London, page 373:
- The quack abortionist, with “a little knowledge,” impudently, remorselessly, and secretly employs his craft for filthy lucre’s sake, perpetrating one crime to conceal another, at which science and charity blush.
- 2003, Mark Juergensmeyer, Terror in the Mind of God: The Global Rise of Religious Violence, 3rd edition, Berkeley, California: University of California Press, →ISBN, page 24:
- According to Bray, “there is a difference between taking a retired abortionist and executing him, and killing a practicing abortionist who is regularly killing babies.” The first act is in Bray’s view retributive, the second defensive.
- 2009–2010, Roger Ebert, Roger Ebert’s Movie Yearbook 2010, review of 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, page 146:
- Then she asks her to go first to meet the abortionist. Then she neglects to make a reservation at the hotel the abortionist specifies. That almost sinks the arrangement: The abortionist has experience suggesting that hotel will be a safe venue, and suspects he may be set up for a police trap.
- (chiefly derogatory) A person who advocates for or supports the legality of abortion.
person who performs abortions — see also angel maker
person who advocates for or supports the legality of abortion
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked