Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (medicine or dated) The cessation of pregnancy or fetal development: [First attested in the mid 16th century.]
- (dated) The immature product of an untimely birth. [First attested in the late 16th century.]
- A monstrosity; a misshapen person. [First attested in the late 16th century.]
- (figuratively) Failure of a promise or a goal. [First attested in the early 18th century.]
- (biology) Arrest of development of any organ, so that it remains an imperfect formation or is absorbed. [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
- Any fruit or produce which is interrupted in its progress before it is matured or perfect; an idea, project, or anything that does not come to maturity.
- (chiefly art) Something ugly, an artistic atrocity.
- The cessation of an illness or disease at a very early stage.
- An unpleasant or poorly executed idea or project.
1999, foo...@my-deja.com, alt.fan.starwars, Usenet:
- Menace is AN ABORTION OF A MOVIE
2000, Jules, “please dont buy beacon cd”, in alt.fan.allman-brothers, Usenet:
- Dickey on his own manages to turn a simple bo diddley 1-2-3-4 into an absolute abortion of a song.
2003, David Kerekes, Headpress 24: Powered by Love, page 133:
- an absolute abortion of a book
- The act of aborting (an undertaking, such as a project or trip).
2013, Fakhry A. Assaad, James W. LaMoreaux, Travis Hughes, Field Methods for Geologists and Hydrogeologists, ISBN 3662054388, page 314:
- The transfer or loss of the project manager before the project is completed will result in lost continuity and delay or the abortion of the project and/or the report.
- (induced abortion): aborticide, feticide, foeticide, termination (of pregnancy)
- (act of terminating pregnancy): aborticide, embryoctony, feticide, foeticide, termination (of pregnancy)
Terms derived from abortion
- abortion clinic
- abortion doctor
- abortion drug
- abortion method
- abortion on demand
- abortion on request
- abortion pill
- abortion provider
- abortion rights, abortion-rights
- anti-abortion, antiabortion
- anti-abortionism, anti-abortionism
- anti-abortionist, antiabortionist
- back alley abortion, back-alley abortion
- back-street abortion, backstreet abortion
- backyard abortion, back-yard abortion
- contagious abortion
- early abortion
- elective abortion
- habitual abortion
- hysterotomy abortion
- incomplete abortion
- induced abortion
- infectious abortion
- late-term abortion
- medical abortion
- partial-birth abortion, partial birth abortion
- post-abortion, postabortion
- pre-abortion, preabortion
- pro-abortion, proabortion
- pro-abortionism, proabortionism
- pro-abortionist, proabortionist
- sex-selective abortion
- spontaneous abortion
- surgical abortion
- therapeutic abortion
- threatened abortion
- unsafe abortion
- vacuum aspiration abortion
act of inducing abortion
immature product of an untimely birth
fruit/produce that doesn't come to maturity
the act of aborting a project, etc
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked