English citations of bum
- 1638 Herbert, Sir Thomas Some years travels into divers parts of Asia and Afrique
- ...the female ſex each new Moone defying pale fac't Cynthia by turning up their bummes, imaging her the cauſe of their diſtempers.
- 1666–1671 (first published 1747), poem To My More Than Meritorious Wife, by John Wilmot 2nd Earl of Rochester (published in The Works of The Earl of Rochester, Yale, 1968):
- With low-made legs and sugared speeches,
Yielding to your fair bum the breeches, …
- 1934, Rex Stout, Fer-de-Lance, 1992 Bantam edition, ↑ISBN, page 165:
- I was always glad to be doing something, but I was not so liable to burst from joy when I suspected that my activity was going to turn out to be nothing but discarding from a bum hand.