Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of da
Sense: "yes" in Russian context
|ME «||15th c.||16th c.||17th c.||18th c.||19th c.||20th c.||21st c.|
- n.d., William M. Holden, Between Heaven and Hell: A Thrilling Story of Love and War, Trafford, ISBN 1412216559, p 145.
- Boris helped himself to another glass of wine, then replied: “Da. You got it right—heat-seeking missiles, shoulder-mounted. . . .”
- 1936, Brooks Atkinson, “Moscow Nights: Being a Report on Part One of the Fourth Annual Dramatic Festival”, New York Times, September 13, 1936.
- . . . climbing or descending five steps before delivering a line, or pretending to play five bars on the piano before saying “da” or “nyet” . . .
- 1952, Marie Seton, Sergei M. Eisenstein: A Biography, A.A. Wyn, p 252.
- A second knock brought a sharp ‘Da!’ Opening the door, I walked into a room which gave the impression of a medieval cell . . .
- 1984, Robert Shea, Robert Anton Wilson, The Illuminatus! Trilogy, Dell, ISBN 0440539811, p 243.
- “Da, tovarish Celine,” came a voice. The porpoises were too far away to be seen now.
- 1992, Yale Richmond, From Nyet to Da: Understanding the Russians, 3rd edition, Intercultural Press, 2003, ISBN 978-1-877864-16-2, p 3.
- . . . their word is good, nyet becomes da, and deals can be done.
- 1995, Yale Richmond, From Da to Yes: Understanding the East Europeans, Intercultural Press, ISBN 1877864307, p xvi.
- Still remaining, however, is the challenge of mutual understanding, as the East Europeans move from Da—subservience to the East—to “Yes”—cooperation with the West.
- 2001, “A close shave with Mr Moslift for Ms Fixit”, The Guardian, May 26, 2001.
- She encountered, of course, a wall of silence. Neither a da nor a nyet. Simply a shrug.
- 2002, Nick Paton Walsh, “Russia Lite: Nyet to Vodka, Da to Beer”, Guardian Unlimited, October 20, 2002.
- Russia Lite: Nyet to Vodka, Da to Beer [attested in title only]
- 2008, Stu Hackel, “The Morning Skate: Wilson-Leafs On? Orpik a Ranger? Hasek Gone?”, New York Times, June 8, 2008.
- But not everyone is saying “da.” ¶ Flames assistant coach Wayne Fleming said “nyet” to coaching Dinamo Minsk.
Portuguese citations of da
Contraction of de a