Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|1952 1976 1977 1978 1981 1985 1995||2005|
|ME «||15th c.||16th c.||17th c.||18th c.||19th c.||20th c.||21st c.|
1952 July, Wolf, Mari, “Robots of the World! Arise!”, in If, volume 1, number 3, page 76:
- It's crazy. They're swarming all over Carron City. They're stopping robots in the streets—household Robs, commercial Droids, all of them. They just look at them, and then the others quit work and start off with them.
- 1976, George Lucas, Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, New York: Ballantine Books, p 77:
- “These aren’t the ’droids you’re looking for,” Kenobi told him pleasantly.
- 1977, George Lucas, Star Wars (film):
- Obi-Wan: These aren't the droids you're looking for.
1977 October 12, Mountain-Democrat Times, page A10:
- Mary Ann Harrison [...] and Terry Huntington construct the armorplate for one of the droids or robots which will appear in the Discovery Players' futuristic Comedy of Errors.
- 1978, Edward L. Safford, The complete handbook of robotics (Tab No.1071), Tab Books, p 11:
- It is important to note that we have here the term "robot," which is different from android, or droid for short, or from humanoid, another term associated with these machines.
- 1981, Paul Friedman, Computer programs in BASIC, page 37:
- Each droid can move one square at a time. The computer and you each "own" a droid, but each of you can control the other's droid if you so desire.
- 1985, R. A. Montgomery, War with the Evil Power Master, page 92:
- The droid nods in agreement and begins to arm the ship's defensive weapons.
- 1995, J. D. Robb, Glory in Death, page 39:
- The bartender was a droid, as most were, but she doubted this one had been programmed to listen cheerfully to customers' hard luck stories.
- 2005, John L. Kundert-Gibbs, Dariush Derakhshani, Maya Secrets of the Pros, page 96:
- For a quick venture into ambient occlusion, we'll render a CGI robot droid in several passes and composite them back together in Photoshop to show the flexibility of ambient occlusion as well as rendering in layers for different lighting passes.