Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: 'droid
droid (plural droids)
- A robot, especially one made with some physical resemblance to a human.
1952 July, Wolf, Mari, “Robots of the World! Arise!”, in If, volume 1, number 3, page 76:
- It's crazy. They're swarming all over Carron City. They're stopping robots in the streets—household Robs, commercial Droids, all of them. They just look at them, and then the others quit work and start off with them.
- 1976, George Lucas, Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, New York: Ballantine Books, p 77:
- “These aren’t the ’droids you’re looking for,” Kenobi told him pleasantly.
- 1995, J. D. Robb, Glory in Death, page 39:
- The bartender was a droid, as most were, but she doubted this one had been programmed to listen cheerfully to customers' hard luck stories.
- For usage examples of this term, see Citations:droid.