Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Fiction in which advanced technology or science is a key element.
- Some people consider motion pictures such as the Star Wars movies more as fantasies than science fiction.
- Synonyms: (dated) scientific romance, (dated) scientifiction, sci-fi, SF, skiffy, stf
- Coordinate terms: fantasy, horror
- Hypernyms: imaginative fiction, non-mimetic fiction, SF/F/H, speculative fiction
- Hyponyms: hard science fiction, proto-science fiction, soft science fiction
- (by extension) Technology that, while theoretically possible, is not yet practical.
- Despite decades of research, mass-market personal aircraft are still science fiction.
technology which is not yet practical
science fiction n (indeclinable)
- (literature) science fiction (genre of fiction)
- Synonym: fantastyka naukowa
- (colloquial) something unbelievable
- 2013, “Łódź żyje Janowiczem. "To jakieś science fiction"”, in Wprost:
- - To dla nas jakieś science fiction. Nie wiemy, w jakim świecie żyjemy. To jest po prostu coś nieprawdopodobnego - mówi Ewa Nadel, prezes klubu, którego zawodnikiem jest Janowicz.
- "This is something incredible. We don't know what world we live in. This is just something improbable," Ewa Nadel says, the president of the club, who's player is Janowicz.