Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: science-fiction, Science-fiction, Science-Fiction, and Sciencefiction
From science + fiction; apparently coined in 1851 by W. Wilson.
science fiction (usually uncountable, plural science fictions)
- Fiction in which advanced technology or science is a key element.
- Some people consider motion pictures such as the Star Wars movies more as fantasies than science fiction.
- Synonyms: (dated) scientific romance, (dated) scientifiction, sci-fi, SF, skiffy, stf
- Coordinate terms: fantasy, horror
- Hypernyms: imaginative fiction, non-mimetic fiction, SF/F/H, speculative fiction
- Hyponyms: hard science fiction, proto-science fiction, soft science fiction
- (by extension) Technology that, while theoretically possible, is not yet practical.
- Despite decades of research, mass-market personal aircraft are still science fiction.
technology which is not yet practical
- science fiction on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
Borrowed from English science fiction.
science fiction n (indeclinable)
- (literature) science fiction (genre of fiction)
- Synonym: fantastyka naukowa
- (colloquial) something unbelievable
- 2013, “Łódź żyje Janowiczem. "To jakieś science fiction"”, in Wprost:
- - To dla nas jakieś science fiction. Nie wiemy, w jakim świecie żyjemy. To jest po prostu coś nieprawdopodobnego - mówi Ewa Nadel, prezes klubu, którego zawodnikiem jest Janowicz.
- "This is something incredible. We don't know what world we live in. This is just something improbable," Ewa Nadel says, the president of the club, who's player is Janowicz.
- science fiction in Wielki słownik języka polskiego, Instytut Języka Polskiego PAN
- science fiction in Polish dictionaries at PWN
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- Rhymes:English/ɪkʃən/4 syllables
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English uncountable nouns
- English countable nouns
- English multiword terms
- English terms with usage examples
- en:Science fiction
- Polish terms borrowed from English
- Polish terms derived from English
- Polish terms with IPA pronunciation
- Polish terms with audio links
- Polish lemmas
- Polish nouns
- Polish indeclinable nouns
- Polish neuter nouns
- Polish multiword terms
- Polish colloquialisms
- Polish terms with quotations
- pl:Literary genres
- pl:Science fiction