Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Earliest Usenet uses via Google Groups:
- snowboarding: net.rec.ski - Feb 23 1984, 3:21 pm by p...
- Anybody out there familiar with "snowboarding"? It's seems to be really catching on here in CO. Basically, it's like surfing, except when you fall you get both wet and cold.
- snowboards: net.rec.ski - Mar 3 1984, 3:15 am by Lawrence M. Lifshitz
- I have not seen the "snowboards" but there is something similar based upon windsurfers (a surf board with a sail on it, definitely something to try!). skis are attached under the board and the person stands on top of the board.
- snowboard: net.rec.ski - Dec 12 1984, 12:42 pm by DavisRB
- Last winter, I saw the snowboard for the first time on a small ski lift in Oregon called "Willamette Pass."
- Snow Boards: net.rec.ski - Feb 17 1986, 4:32 pm by Pat Chewning
- Snow Boards -- cross between skiing and skateboarding
- snowboarder, snowboarders, snowboarder's: net.rec.ski - Feb 18 1986, 7:27 am by Paul Sweazey
- You just can't be a casual snowboarder. You are working every second.
- In ice, precise control is very difficult, so the better snowboarders just give up and barrel straight down the fall line.
- There were tentative plans of a snowboarder's liscencing program at Timberline on Mt. Hood, and so far only Timberline, Mt. Hood Meadows, and Mt. Bachelor are allowing snowboarders at all.
- snow boarders: rec.skiing - Dec 20 1989, 6:15 pm by Glen Baker
- As yet we don't really have enough statistics to indicate whether or not the snow boarders have a higher per-capita injury rate than the skiers, but the injuries themselves seem to be quite similar (i.e. mostly knee injuries followed by the usual thumb/shoulder/etc stuff).
- snow-board: rec.skiing - Dec 21 1989, 5:07 pm by Erik Wettersten
- Remember that there is a minimum speed below which a snow-board does not turn (except by 'throwing). ...this is part of the reason learning is tough, ...you can't learn by doing slow turns working your way up to fast turns...
- snow-boarder, snow-boards: rec.motorcycles - Jan 6 1990, 1:52 am by RobinsonB
- AHA! One of the snow-boarder-squids posts. Actually, I have nothing against snow-boards; well, maybe just one little thing: unless a snow-boarder has excellent abilities, they tend to slide down the hill sideways, thus skinning the snow off of the hard-pack (read: "ICE").
- snow board: rec.skiing - Feb 23 1990, 5:16 am by Russ Muzzolini
- I am looking to buy a snow board and am wondering what a good price for new or used board would be.
- snow-boarding: rec.skiing - Feb 23 1990, 7:40 pm by Eric T. Anderson
- We'd never tried snow-boarding before and there were no instructors around.
- snow boarder: rec.skiing - Mar 21 1990, 11:11 pm by Tom Harper
- If I have one more snow boarder cut me off because they are turning to their blind side without checking what my line is, I may not change my line.
- snow-boarders: rec.skiing - Oct 31 1990, 9:20 am by Wayne Trzyna
- My opinion is that snow-boarders trash a powder slope faster than an equivalent number of skiers.
- snow boarding: rec.skiing - Nov 13 1990, 6:05 am by Stephen Styer
- If so please let me know about how you felt about it, especially as compared to snow boarding.
- snow-board's: rec.skiing - Jan 18 1993, 6:26 pm by J S Bach
- Hey snowboarders/rave-goers, what's a good brand for snow-board's performance?
- snowboard's: rec.skiing - Feb 28 1994, 10:53 am by Hugh Grierson
- There are some skis around now with sidecuts much like a snowboard's. I wouldn't rush out to buy them though.
- snowboarding's: rec.skiing.snowboard - Aug 10 1994, 1:08 pm by Stig-Snowboard UK Mag
- I don't care if snowboarding's used to sell Dunkin' Donuts or Junk Bonds, just make sure it looks good.
- snow boarder's: rec.skiing.alpine - Nov 18 1996, 11:01 pm by suzana noble
- i am a skier & i cant understand why people like you want to slag off snow boarder's we all enjoy the same thing so why fight ?
— Hippietrail 14:47, 13 May 2005 (UTC)