Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A diminutive of the male given name David, also used as a formal given name.
- 1994, Caroline Knapp, The Merry Recluse: A Life in Essays, Counterpoint Press, published 2004, →ISBN, pages 169, 170:
- David, with its final "d", sounds finished and complete, whereas Dave just kind of hangs there in the air, indefinitely. - - - Worse, if your name is Dave, the only possible nickname is "Davey", which makes you sound like you should be wearing a coonskin cap.
- A surname from Gujarati from Sanskrit द्विवेदिन् (dvivedin, “(one who has studied) two Vedas”).
- (very rare) A female given name.
- English 1-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/eɪv/1 syllable
- English lemmas
- English proper nouns
- English given names
- English male given names
- English diminutives of male given names
- English terms with quotations
- English surnames
- English surnames from Gujarati
- English terms derived from Sanskrit
- English terms derived from the Sanskrit root विद्
- English terms with rare senses
- English female given names