- Any of several minor characters in the Old Testament, including the father of Samuel.
- (rare) A male given name of Biblical origin.
- Then said Elkanah her husband to her, Hannah, why weepest thou? and why eatest thou not? and why is thy heart grieved? am I not better to thee than ten sons?
- 1791James Boswell: The Life of Dr. Samuel Johnson: II-Dr. Johnson and Mr.Wilkes:
- WILKES. "We have no city-poet now: that is an office which has gone into disuse. The last was Elkanah Settle. There is something in names which one cannot help feeling. Now Elkanah Settle sounds so queer, who can expect much from that name? We should have no hesitation to give it to John Dryden, in preference to Elkanah Settle, from the names only, without knowing their different merits.