Feast of Light
From the importance of candles or light in the celebration.
- (Judaism) Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights.
- 1940, Emily Solis-Cohen, Jr., Hanukkah: The Feast of Light, Jewish Publication Society
- 1942, Jewish Spectator, volume 7, page 46:
- We celebrate Hanukkah, the Feast of Light, in commemoration of the Maccabees' putting an end to the sinister oppression [...]
- 1997, The collected writings, volume 7 ↑ISBN, page 200:
- Chanukah recounts the rededication of the Sanctuary which had been despoiled by the Greeks. The celebration of the eight-day Feast of Light recalls the victorious survival of the Sanctuary, not the courage of the Maccabees.