See also: hyacinth
- Alternative form of
- (rare) A male given name.
- A female given name. One of the less common flower names used since the 19th century.
- 1866 Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters, Chapter 10:
- "Cynthia seems to me such an out-of-the-way name, only fit for poetry, not for daily use."
- "It is mine," said Mrs Kirkpatrick, in a plaintive tone of reproach. "I was christened Hyacinth, and her poor father would have her called after me. I'm sorry if you don't like it."
- - - -
- "Yes; Hyacinth! It's the silliest name I've ever heard of; but it's hers, and I must call her by it."
Hyacinthus — see Hyacinthus
male given name