lei (“to leap”) + nā (“the”)(plural) + ʻala (“fragrance”) = "the fragrances are wafted". Name of the heroine of a 19th century romance.
- IPA(key): /lej.naːˈʔa.la/, [lejnaːˈʔɐlə]
- A female given name.
- Popular during the first half of the 20th century.
- Martha Warren Beckwith, Hawaiian Mythology, Forgotten Books 1940, →ISBN, page 10
- Hawaii State Archives: Marriage records The name does not occur in 19th century marriage records. Early examples:
- Maria Leinaala Smith, married in 1911, Honolulu
- Leinaala Kealoha (woman), married in 1923, Honolulu