In some sources also transcribed *weri. UEW reconstructs (in particular due to the Permic reflexes) *wire. The Mansi forms with ɣ remain unexplained.
Found only within the traditional Finno-Ugric languages; contrast Proto-Samoyedic *këm. Neither word can be explicitly shown to be an innovation, however.
- Mari: *wü̆r
- Samic: *vërë (see there for further descendants)
- Finnic: *veri (see there for further descendants)
- Rédei, Károly (1986–88) Uralisches etymologisches Wörterbuch [Uralic Etymological Dictionary] (in German), Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó
- Sammallahti, Pekka. 1988. "Historical phonology of the Uralic languages, with special reference to Samoyed, Ugric and Permic". In Sinor, Denis (ed.), The Uralic Languages: Description, History and Foreign Influences, pp. 478–554. Leiden: Brill. →ISBN.
- Entry #1152 in Uralonet, online Uralic etymological database of the Research Institute for Linguistics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.