Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: sibyl
- A female given name from Ancient Greek.
- c. 1590–1592, William Shakespeare, “The Taming of the Shrew”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies […] (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act I, (please specify the scene number in lowercase Roman numerals)]:, Scene II:
- Be she as foul as Florentius' love, / As old as Sibyl, and as curst and shrewd / As Socrates' Xanthippe, or worse, / She moves me not.
- Alternative letter-case form of
- Used as a name since the Middle Ages. Since the 19th century usually spelled Sybil.
female given name