Earliest Usenet uses via Google Groups:
- Andrew: fa.energy - 14 May 1981 03:00 edt by Schauble.Multics
- This is taken from the March 30 issue of the Phoenix Gazette, by Andrew Zipser, Gazette reporter.
- Andrew's (surname): net.math - 18 Apr 1983 by ihuxr
- Jerry Leichter should have added that Derek Andrew's generator is a VERY particular case of the generalized shift register, since bit 14 is the only bit which is not a simple shift of a previous bit.
- Andrew's: net.lang.c - 18 Aug 1983 by Martin Minow
- I should also note that Andrew's other suggested operator, '$' is valid in identifiers in Vax-11C, Decus C, and probably a few other PDP-11 compilers running on Dec machines.
— Hippietrail 08:42, 17 Feb 2005 (UTC)