This template is used to create the headword line of Afrikaans adjectives. It uses Module:af-headword as a back-end.
The template is placed on the basic (lemma) form, which is the predicative form that is used when the adjective is not placed before a noun. It displays three forms of the adjective: the attributive ending in -e, comparative ending in -er and superlative ending in -ste. These forms are generated automatically from the page name, so for most adjectives you don't need to give any parameters.
The attributive form is generated from the page name using the following rules:
- Normally, add -e.
- If the predicative form (page name) already ends in -e (or -ë), don't add anything.
- If the predicative form ends in -u, like for ru, add -we.
The attributive form may be somewhat irregular and have spelling changes to accommodate the vowel length, much like the plural of nouns. For example, geel becomes gele, while vol becomes volle. In some cases the last consonant changes, like doof > dowe or hoog > hoë. For these cases, specify the attributive form with the first parameter:
Comparative and superlative
The comparative form is automatically derived from the attributive form, whether it's generated by default or given with the first parameter. It follows the following rules:
- Normally, add -r to the attributive.
- If the attributive doesn't end in -e (or -ë) already, add -er to it.
- If the predicative form (page name) ends in -r, add -der to that (and not to the attributive).
The superlative is generated automatically as follows:
- Normally, add -ste to the predicative (page name).
- If the attributive is formed by replacing -nk with -ng, then add -ste to the attributive form instead.
- If the predicative form ends in -u, like for ru, add another -u- to maintain the vowel length, giving -uuste.
If an adjective has no comparative or superlative forms, specify
- as the second parameter (skipping the first if necessary):
For a few adjectives, the comparative or superlative needs to be overridden. This can be done with the second and third parameters, respectively. Likewise, some adjectives may have an alternative comparative or superlative, which can be given with
sup2=. For goed and kwaad: