|Search user languages or scripts|
Names and attributes must be accommodated to the essence of things, and not the essence to the names, since things come first and names afterwards.
— Galileo Galilei
Notwithstanding their influence, we apprehend, however, that dictionary-makers are on the whole an oppressed race, doomed to more than their due share of obscure drudgery. […] They may have had their romance at home — may have been crossed in love, and thence driven to dictionarying; may have been involved in domestic tragedies — who can say?
— Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (volume 96), uncredited author
Words, words, words, words! You may as well listen to the birds.
Hi. I've been on Wiktionary since mid-2008. My main interest is adding (legitimate) English words that we are missing. I seem to have done rather a lot of this. In particular, I have added the missing material from Webster's 1913 dictionary (which has about 80,000 entries); created thousands of entries from lists of scientific terms, such as minerals, soil types, organic compounds, and pharmaceutical drugs; originated Appendix:Unicode (I fear I have birthed a terrible emoji monster); and added various words that I encounter in books, newspapers, and everyday life.
I'm on Wikipedia too, where I mostly make a fuck of a fuss about commas.
I have an HND in Applied Computing and a BA in English Language. I'm a software developer for a charity that I like a lot. I've done some other sucky jobs too like telesales :)
- Things I like: super-specialised senses of otherwise ordinary words (as in e.g. computing or birdwatching); proper tagging of slang and rare senses; and words beginning with x.
- Things I don't like: blind prescriptivism; made-up phobias; folk etymologies; people with the "agenda" (Islam, Anglo-Saxonism, gender studies, etc., to the exclusion of actual real-world usage); and especially spam and commercial bullshit.
Things to do, apart from adding words
- Why doesn't my headset work? I could record a zillion words. Try it on another PC. If it's super-quiet and broken even there, buy a new one.
- Download all pages and write a thing so I can fill in missing etys easily, e.g. obvious compounds and prefixes.
- With the same downloaded data: make a list of English entries with missing plurals, and create the missing ones that are correct.
- Ditto: deal with the initialisms and abbreviations that need a proper part of speech.
- Things not to do: finish my excellent desktop Wiktionary with loads of power-user shortcut keys, since templates change too fast and I would end up vandalising without knowing it. *cry*
Individual words to consider
- actisign antiaccelerator(s) antibioticogram antiblocker(s) anticonvertin antithromboplastin
- biologistical bivagotomy blasthole
- characean(s) coperfect counterworld
- downkeying draw stitch
- emissarial endophoric* noun exobasidial
- famisign frange*
- (gadso, odso, rivo*, toho*: old or obscure interjections) genorheitron gonidangium
- headmount histial hyperphoric(s) hypopepsia
- megamodel (not fashion) microplane multitones
- neoreactionary nexine
- orthophoric(s) overcoded overnegation
- palatinepterygoid paracritical pneumotaxic potisign
- saxifragoid(s) skeletoid spasmophilia suberyl symphile synecthran syngenesioplastic synoekete
- undercoded undershoe unlosing upkeying usermode
- IRC jargon: AOP*, SOP*
- Singlish particles: ah, hah, hor, lah, leh, lor, mah, meh, ya
- Soil science: entic epieutric eutric fibric fractiplinthic fragic gelic* greyichyperalic hyperdystric hypergypsic hypersalic isohumisol isohyperthermic kandic lamellic leptic lutic manganiferric mollic ochric oxyaquic perudic petroduric petroferric petroplinthic pisoplinthic placic redoxic rendzic ruptic sabric salic sombric terric turbic umbric vertic vitron*
- A few qualifications: MChem, MEnvSci, MMath, MMet, MPharm, MPhys; see also Oxford's 
Other places to get words
- Wiktionary:Requested entries (English)
- Wiktionary:List of languages (language names)
- Neume: lots of terms for obsolete music notation
- Glossary of classical algebraic geometry (todo: I thru W)
- Glossary of architecture
- Glossary of botanical terms
- Glossary of contract bridge terms (continue from book)
- Glossary of motorsport terms
- Glossary of professional wrestling terms
- Professional wrestling throws
- Egyptian units of measurement
- Eton College glossary  (copyrighted)
- List of diseases
- Eye surgery: lots of technical terms here.
- List of optical illusions
- List of cocktails
- List of MeSH codes: links to thousands of scientific words
- Morphology of Diptera: many parts of fly anatomy (see labelled diagrams)
- South African English:  (copyrighted)
- Many organic compounds in Cystophora retroflexa: 
- Missing words from major dictionaries
- Missing words used in Wiktionary
- Get a random transwiki word or phrase (learn more)
- Antarctic slang:  (copyrighted)
- Terms in wine-tasting:  (copyrighted)
- Some good anatomical terms here:  (copyrighted)
- Appendix:Christian figures of speech