Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Search user languages or scripts|
- I can speak Spanish fairly fluently, but with many grammatical errors.
- My Swedish is alright, but definitely not as good as my English.
- My Estonian is probably slightly better than "basic", but not good enough to count as intermediate.
- I've studied Russian for many years (with good grades even) but basically cannot speak it.
- Other languages I've studied: German, Italian, Tver Karelian, Low Saxon and French.
- I know IPA pretty well, but e.g. some of the vowels in around the middle of the vowel chart are still hard for me to remember by heart. I'm also somewhat familiar with the extIPA (symbols for disordered speech).
- Since I've studied Russian, I of course know the Cyrillic alphabet, including its cursive and I'm even aware of the fact that the letter д may drastically change its shape when italicized (д).
- I can sort of read Modern Greek aloud, but can't understand it. I don't know how Ancient Greek accents work.
- I know all the most common Sinhala characters that are known as śuddha siṃhala (ශුද්ධ සිංහල) and many of the non-śuddha ones, but some of the non-śuddha characters (which are rarer than their equivalent śuddha characters) are still a bit hard to remember. This means that normally I can read a Sinhala text aloud (slowly and without understanding it of course), but every now and then I might come accross a word that contains a character I don't remember. Some of the letters are so rare that one rarely comes accros words containing them, and there are also obsolete characters in the Sinhala script.
- Most consonant sounds in Sinhala can be represented by two different letters, one of them being clearly more common than the other. Thus it's often possible to read long passages while knowing only just over a half of the consonant letters.
- The previous bullet point written in English using the Sinhala script:
- මොවුස්ට් කොන්සනන්ට් සවුන්ඩ්zස් ඉන් සිංහල කැන් බී රෙප්රිzසෙන්ටිඩ් බයි ටූ ඩිෆ්රන්ට් ලෙටර්zස්, වන් ඔව් දෙම් බී-ඉං ක්ලියර්ලි මෝර් කොමන් දැන් දි අදර්. දස් ඉට්ස් ඔෆන් පොසිබල් ට රීඩ් ලොං පැසිජිzස් වයිල් නොවුවිං ඔවුන්ලි ජස්ට් ඔවුවර් අ හාෆ් ඔව් ද කොන්සනන්ට් ලෙටර්zස්.
- Greek alphabet:
- Μόουστ κόνσοναντ σάουντζ ιν Σίγκχαλα καν μπι ρεπριζέντιντ μπάη του ντίφρεντ λέτερζ, ουάν οβ δεμ μπήιγκ κλίερλι μωρ κόμον δαν δι άδερ. Δας ιτς όφεν πόσιμπολ του ριντ λογκ πάσιτζιζ ουάιλ νόουιγκ όουνλι τζαστ όουβερ α χαφ οβ δε κόνσοναντ λέτερζ.
- So don't try to contact me in Sinhala nor Greek, I won't understand it, but I could understand English written in Sinhala or Greek script, like the examples above.
- May 17, 2020: 1000 edits
- September 24, 2020: Administrator in Finnish Wiktionary (based on vote that ended on September 20)
- April 1, 2021: 2000 edits