Hello, may I ask you a question? Years ago, when a friend of mine was teaching me the rules of the game of go, he told me that its alternative name in Japanese is ki. Was he right? Neither WT nor WP confirm this. (Or is it just a shortened form of the Chinese word wéiqí mentioned in WP?) ---Duncan MacCall 22:51, 21 November 2008 (UTC)
- That's right.
- "碁" has two pronunciations for Japanese.
- "碁" is a variant form of a letter of "棋". And "棋" is included in "将棋"(shogi) and "圍棋"(wéiqí).
- "棋" has some pronunciations for Japanese.
- It is rare to use the word "棋" alone. It composes the word now. For example.
- almost "棋" can change "碁". However, there is hardly use.
- --Lemonsquash 21:13, 22 November 2008 (UTC)
- I see. Thank you a lot. --Duncan MacCall 22:28, 22 November 2008 (UTC)