Wiktionary:Other dictionaries on the Web
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Cambridge Dictionary Online
- Fine Dictionary
- The Free Dictionary
- HyperDictionary - includes Webster's Dictionary, 1913
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
- Merriam-Webster Online - American English as main entries, also includes British English as 'See-also' entries. Dictionary and thesaurus.
- Memidex - WordNet-based dictionary/thesaurus with definition, audio, and etymology references
- OneLook Dictionary Search - searches many others - including Wiktionary, great for American and British English, checking spellings, wild cards (e.g. searching for words containing definitions and crossword-type stuff like searching for words spelled C_M_N) and definitions. Dictionary and thesaurus.
- Oxford Dictionaries
- WordNet - a lexical database for English
- World Wide Words
General Public License dictionaries
Public domain dictionaries
- Texting Abbreviations List. Textspeak dictionary.
- British Internet Slang Dictionary by Ted Duckworth
- NoSlang - Internet Slang Dictionary & Translator
- SlangLang - Online dictionary for slang words
- Urban Dictionary - user-generated content, with an enormous database of genuine slang but also made-up-and-used-by-one-person crap.
- FOLDOC - Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing
- NetLingo - The Internet Dictionary of Computer and Internet Terms
Other language sites
Translations to/from English
- The Compleat Lexical Tutor - free tools
- Ethnologue: Languages of the World
- Glosbe: Bilingual dictionaries hub, over 100 languages
- Linguee - search 100 million translations (German)
- Translation.net - free instant translation from Systran
- MDBG English to Chinese dictionary - interface to CEDICT, a Chinese-English electronic dictionary with Mandarin pinyin
- CC-Canto - Cantonese dictionary based on CEDICT
- MOEdict - interface to several online dictionaries: Mandarin, Min Nan, Hakka dictionaries from the Ministry of Education (Taiwan), a cross-strait dictionary from the General Association of Chinese Culture. Translations from the CC-CEDict (Chinese–English), CFDict (Chinese–French) and HanDeDict (Chinese-German) are also included in entries.
- Slovnik.cz - the "best" Czech dictionary online
- Den Danske Ordbog - current language; maintained by w:Dansk Sprog- og Litteraturselskab
- Ordbog over det danske Sprog - covers the period 1700-1950; also published by DSL
- Nye Ord i Dansk - a dictionary of recent additions to Danish; also maintained by DSN
- Reta Vortaro - possibly licensed under GNU GPL V2 (click "libera" at the bottom of the page)
- Orðalistar - an array of topical word lists, some Danish-Faroese, some English-Faroese, some monolingual; published by Føroyska Málráðið, the Faroese Language Council
- Føroysk orðabók - published by Orðabókagrunnurin, the Dictionary Association
- Digitales Wörterbuch der Deutschen Sprache
- Duden - grammatical information, synonyms, pronunciation and more
- η Πύλη - Greek language portal
- Katersat - Greenlandic/Danish/English. Some (most?) derived words have their composition given, and most have plural and relative forms and pronunciation. Affixes are listed independently, but there seem to be some lacking.
- DAKA - published by Ilinniusiorfik (Greenlandic/Danish). According to this, it is a combination of earlier works Oqaatsit and Ordbogen.
- Greenlandic English Dictionary - published by Oqaasileriffik, the Greenland Language Secretariat; downloadable spreadsheet (Greenlandic to English/Danish); includes both new and old orthography; still in progress.
- Jisho.org - online interface to several electronic Japanese–English dictionaries like EDICT, JMnedict, etc.
- kotobank.jp - free access to the monolingual Daijirin, Daijisen, an encyclopedia, and a Japanese-English dictionary.
- weblio.jp - ditto, with dictionaries of many specific domains.
- eow.alc.co.jp - a Japanese–English dictionary
- Diccionario de la lengua española © 2005 Espasa Calpe
- Real Academia Española - has two Spanish monolingual dictionaries: "Diccionario de la lengua española" and "Diccionario panhispánico de dudas"
- A pocket dictionary has about 25k one-line Welsh entries with English definitions, e.g. "Ystyriaethu, v. to use consideration or reflection" Proofreading is still in progress.