Wiktionary:Requested entries (English)/philias
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
< Wiktionary:Requested entries (English)(Redirected from Wiktionary:Requested entries:English/philias)
- acidophilia / acidophile: Preference of acidic conditions
- alkaliphilia / alkaliphile: Preference of alkaline environments.
- anthophilia / anthophile / anthophilic: Attraction to flowers.
- anthrophile / anthrophilic: Attracted to humans (e.g., parasites).
- anemophily: a form of pollination whereby pollen is distributed by wind.
- cryophilia / cryophilic / cryophile: Preference for cold environments, climates, objects and low temperatures; e.g., Protea cryophila (Snow Protea).
- dendrophilia / dendrophilic / dendrophile: Preference of trees or other plants.
- extremophilia / extremophile: Preference of living extremal conditions for some microorganisms.
- halophilia / halophile: Attraction/attracted to salt or salt-water.
- heliophilia / heliophile: Attraction/attracted to sunlight.
- hydrophilia: Attraction to water.
- hyperthermophilia / hyperthermophile / hyperthermophilic: Describing organisms that thrive in extremely hot environments.
- limnophilia / limnophile / limnophilic: Preference of ponds or marshes.
- lithophilia / lithophile / litophilic: Preference/affinity to stones.
- mesophilia / mesophile: Preference of moderate temperatures in microorganisms.
- microaerophilia / microaerophile / Microaerophilic: of organisms that can tolerate or require environments containing low levels of oxygen.
- myrmecophilia: in names of orchids of genus myrmecophila, "love of ants"
- nemophilia: Love of the woods/forests, in the name of the genus Nemophilia of flowers.
- nyctophilia: A preference for darkness or night.
- ombrophilia / ombrophile: Affinity/affined to large amounts of rainfall.
- petrophilia / petrophile / petrophilic: Preference of living or spending time in rocky areas.
- photophilia / photophile / photophilic: Preference of living or spending time in lighted conditions.
- psychrophilia / psychrophile: Preference of cold temperatures.
- rheophilia: Preference of living in running water.
- rhizophilia: Preference of living on roots.
- thermophilia: Love of high temperatures; thriving in high temperatures (e.g. microbes).
- tropophilia / tropophile / tropophilous: Preference of seasonal extremes of climate.
- xerophilia: Love of living or spending time in very dry conditions.
- xylophilia: Love of wood.
Chemistry / physics
- chromophilous: Staining easily
- litophilic: In microfluidics, the fact that some substances enrich on channel walls instead of in the middle of the channels. (eg. air bubbles)
- audiophilia: Love of high-fidelity sound reproduction
- hippophilia/hippophile: Attraction/attracted to horses
- icthyophilia: Love of fish
- metrophilia: Love of the metro rail or subway systems
- ornithophilia: Love of birds
- turophilia/turophile: Love of cheese / connoisseur of cheese
- Anglophile: a non-English person who is extremely fond of all things English
- Europhile: a person who wants to increase cooperation between governments within the European Union. Antonym: Eurosceptic