Wiktionary:Requests for verification archive/May 2010
See also: Transwiki talk:Trike (insult)
Trike as an insult in the Dallas area - lacks valid citations. Goldenrowley 04:40, 23 May 2010 (UTC)
- Unverifiable, looks like a hoax, and at best very messy.
- The putative book “Cook, L. On the Formation of Insults. London: Bloomsbury, 1997.” does not exist (red flag), the putative etymology is garbage (Old English or Old French origins for a word first supposedly attested in 2003), and the supposed “Old English” traik (“sole of the foot”) is actually Torres Strait Creole (?) (thank you Ptcamn), which is in Australia, not Texas. Also couldn’t find other citations – with this much against it, suggest delete.
- —Nils von Barth (nbarth) (talk) 20:27, 8 June 2010 (UTC)
- The only user who has provided any support is the user who wrote it, User:Vndzr (which looks like a garbage name), whose only contributions were writing this page. No-one else has said anything in support, and this has been open a while. Seems an open-and-shut hoax, and accordingly deleting.
- —Nils von Barth (nbarth) (talk) 02:40, 27 June 2010 (UTC)