Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (grammar) An agent participle; a verb form that allows the property of something being a target of an action to be formatted as an adjective-like attribute.
Regarding the agent participle in Finnish:
- The agent participle is formed from a verb with the suffix -ma, -mä. The stem of the verb is often transformed due to relatively complicated gradation rules:
- The agent participle is often translated into English as past participle + by as in:
- Matin ottama kuva = the picture taken by Matti
- Matin ottamassa kuvassa = in the picture taken by Matti
- A possessive suffix is applied when the logical subject of the sentence is a personal pronoun:
- ottamassasi kuvassa = in the picture taken by you
- Intransitive verbs do not have an agent participle form.