Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Sri Lanka) Salutation wishing the recipient a long life, typically as a greeting or a goodbye.
1963, Punyakante Wijenaike, The third woman and other stories - Part 1963, page 48:
- "Ayubowan, I am looking for a yam for my Suduhamy." I said.
- 2007, Vidushi Seneviratne, "Echo of Koggala cradle", in The Sunday Times (June 3, 2007).
- Charming girls dressed in the traditional, low-country reddha and hattaya, welcomed the invitees at the regal Galle Face Hotel, with a customary ayubowan.
2008, Royston Ellis, Sri Lanka: The Bradt Travel Guide, page 27:
- The cabin crew are all Sri Lankan and passengers are greeted on boarding with the traditional ayubowan ('may you have long life').
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:ayubowan.