barbarize (third-person singular simple present barbarizes, present participle barbarizing, simple past and past participle barbarized)
- (transitive) To cause to become savage or uncultured.
- (intransitive) To become savage or uncultured.
- De Quincey
- The Roman empire was barbarizing rapidly from the time of Trajan.
- (intransitive) To adopt a foreign or barbarous mode of speech.
- The ill habit […] of wretched barbarizing against the Latin and Greek idiom, with their untutored Anglicisms.
to cause to become savage