Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- simple past tense and past participle of
1996, Jules Tygiel, The Great Los Angeles Swindle, page 124:
- The sudden emergence of a bull market generated panic among brokers who had "beared" or "shorted" the stock.
- Jack London, Hearts of Three
- For see, except where your holdings are concerned, the market is reasonable and right. But take your holdings. There's Frisco Consolidated. There is neither sense nor logic that it should be beared this way.
- This form is found especially in the finance sense. In most other senses, the past tense bore and past participle borne are generally preferred.