Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To serve as or perform the duties of a butler.
1909, J. T. Grein, Sunday Times:
- ...even the stoic and impeccable maid of Miss Ethelwyn Arthur-Jones, who ‘buttled’ as well as the most time-honoured butler.
1989, Benjamin Quarles, The Negro in the Civil War:
- Houses where Negroes buttled or cooked were marked for a visit.
2000, Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum:
- At times like this, he buttled when Spriggan the butler was not on duty, or if an extra hand was needed, he footed as well.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:buttle.
- Because of its origins as a back-formation, buttle is considered nonstandard and uses are often jocular.