Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Redirected from carry a lot of weight)
- To be handicapped by an extra burden, as when one rides or runs.
- To have influence.
- Your excuses don't carry weight with me.
- 1948 Rollo H. Myers, Erik Satie, D. Dobson, p31
- When M. Paladilhe was elected my friends said to me: 'Never mind; later on he'll vote for you, Maestro, and his support will carry a lot of weight'. I never had his vote, nor his support, nor his weight.
- 2002 Elizabeth Moynihan, Destiny's Whisper, Writers Club Press, p376
- Manning Senior carries a lot of weight around here, he has a lot of friends; a lot of professional clout and can obviously get things done just barely within the lines of legality.
- 2010 Gordon Ryan, American Voices: State of Rebellion, p247
- A recommendation from him carries a lot of weight around here.