See also: chateaus
- (colloquial) plural of
- 1966, Samuel Chamberlain, 'Bouquet de France: an epicurean tour of the French provinces, page 455:
- "Very active at the moment is “Les Relais de Champagne,” a group of sixty-four hotels, auberges, châteaus, and manor houses scattered all over France."
- 2005, Kevin Zraly, 'Windows On The World Complete Wine Course 2006, page 110:
- "Well, I'm sorry to shatter your dreams, but most châteaus are not like that at all."
- 2005, James Salter, 'There & Then: The Travel Writings of James Salter, page 90:
- "The green Michelin called Châteaux of the Loire is the other essential volume. ... There is even recommended reading and a list of the châteaus that have son et lumière — sound and light — performances."