Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: chateau
- Rhymes: -əʊ
- (US) IPA(key): /ʃæˈtoʊ/
Audio (US) (file)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈʃætəʊ/, /ʃæˈtəʊ/
- A French castle, fortress, manor house, or large country house.
- Any stately residence imitating a distinctively French castle.
- An estate where wine is produced and often bottled, especially in Bordeaux.
a French castle, fortress, manor house, or large country house
any stately residence imitating a distinctively French castle
an estate where wine is produced and often bottled
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- “château”, in The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition, Boston, Mass.: Houghton Mifflin, 2000, →ISBN.
- “château”, in Dictionary.com Unabridged, Dictionary.com, LLC, 1995–present.
- "château" in WordNet 2.0, Princeton University, 2003.
château m (plural châteaux)
- castle (fortified building or similar structure; winegrower's estate)
- → Danish: chateau
- → English: château, chateau
- → Russian: шато́ (šató)
- → Turkish: şato
- → Ukrainian: шато́ (šató)
- "château" in the WordReference Dictionnaire Français-Anglais, WordReference.com LLC, 2006.