Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (film) To convert (video footage) into a non-interlaced format; to remove one field from each video frame.
1984, System for spatially transforming images, US Patent 4472732 :
- A deinterlace filter for interlaced raster scanned video data receiving sequential fields of video data one pixel at a time with each pixel of video data being received during a pixel time and outputing a deinterlaced frame of video data for each field received, the deinterlace filter comprising […]
1985, SMPTE Journal: Publication of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, volume 94:
- I think that an improved receiver, which could do deinterlacing, doubling the frame rate, perhaps combined with some way of getting rid of subcarrier-related artifacts, might be MAC or something else.
1998, Jim Taylor, DVD demystified, page 117:
- One advantage of MPEG-2 video on DVD is that computers and future players can deinterlace it and display it on progressive-scan HDTV screens, with considerably better quality than today's interlaced screens.
2013, Michael Parker, Digital Video Processing for Engineers: A Foundation for Embedded Systems Design, page 43:
- Bob deinterlacing provides good results when the image intensity varies smoothly, but it can soften the image because it also reduces the vertical resolution.