See the verb espier. Compare also Italian spia, Spanish espía.
espie m (oblique plural espies, nominative singular espies, nominative plural espie)
circa 1170, Wace, Le Roman de Rou:
- Dez ke Richart le sout, un espie enveia
Saveir u Thiebaut ert, e combien gent il a.
- As soon as Richard knew about it, he sent a spy
to know where Thibalt was, and how many people he had with him.
- First-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of espiar
- Third-person singular (ele, ela, also used with tu and você?) present subjunctive of espiar
- Third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of espiar
- Third-person singular (você) negative imperative of espiar