Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Inasmuch as, because, since.
- Synonyms: as, given that, seeing that; see also Thesaurus:because
- (obsolete) So far as; with regard to so much as.
- This phrase is now somewhat formal or archaic. In early use the second as was occasionally omitted, and in rare instances it was replaced with that.
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), London: […] Robert Barker, […], →OCLC, Luke 1:1:
- Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us...
- 1651, George Digby, Letters Concerning Religion:
- Forasmuch as belongs to that eating, we are neither defrauded of any good by not eating, nor enriched with any good by the eating of the sanctified bread, which, forasmuch as it hath of materials, goes into the belly.
- John A. Simpson and Edmund S. C. Weiner, editors (1989), “forasmuch as”, in The Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd edition, Oxford: Clarendon Press, →ISBN.