Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To be at a disadvantage.
- People who do not speak a second language find that they lose out when looking for a job.
- I think you will lose out on the exchange rate if you move to dollars now.
2011 October 23, Becky Ashton, “QPR 1 - 0 Chelsea”, in BBC Sport:
- Chelsea had two players sent off and lost out to a Heidar Helguson penalty in a heated west London derby.
- Often lose out to another person or group.
- Often lose out on a specific benefit.