miss a trick
Jump to navigation Jump to search
From card games, where trick means “a sequence in which each player plays a card and a winning play is determined”.
- To allow an advantageous opportunity to pass by.
- John managed to make a profit on that old car you sold him. He never misses a trick, does he?
- 2005, A. Furnham, The People Business: Psychological Reflections on Management
- Select someone who abuses children; select someone who fails to detect bombs; select someone who is an impostor; select someone who sabotages a plant; select someone who embezzles the company ... and you could be sued by the victims of the misdemeanor. You missed a trick and placed people in danger.
- Often used in negative constructions.