next thing one knows
(Redirected from next thing you know)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, colloquial) suddenly, out of the blue.
- 1990 July 22, “2 Roofers Hit by Lightning, Man Critically Injured”, in South Florida Sun - Sentinel:
- ([Milton Dosantos]) just said they were on the roof and the next thing they knew, they were flat on their backs
- 1998, Al Rapaport, Buddhism in America:
- He had three fingers on one hand because one of them had been shot off, and he'd sit there doing this and next thing you know, out would come this three-dimensional folded cage or a box or cranes or snails. Really remarkable.
- Most commonly as next thing you know.