From Middle English outberen, equivalent to out- + bear. Cognate with Danish udbære, Swedish utbära.
outbear (third-person singular simple present outbears, present participle outbearing, simple past outbore, past participle outborne)
- (transitive) To bear out; support.
- 1860, William Caldwell Roscoe, Richard Holt Hutton, Poems and essays: Volume 2:
- This song of soul I struggle to outbear, […]
- 1878, The New York Drama: no. 37-48:
- I marvel at myself, that e'er I yielded
This amorous enterprise even to you,
But that my loyalty outbears my love.