Coined as Parseltongue by J. K. Rowling in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (1998).
- A fictional language of snakes
2005 December 1, Grey, Aisling Willow, “Re: AMC -- Kendall (and Ryan too)”, in rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc, Usenet, message-ID <0001HW.BFB4D67000210837F0284550@news.verizon.net>:
- Now I can't get this out of my head - them hissing and whispering at one another like they're speaking in parseltongue.
2007 April 3, Let's Go Inc., Let's Go Roadtripping USA: The Complete Coast-to-Coast Guide to America, 2nd edition, Macmillan, page 496:
- Slither around Santa Fe's Rattlesnake Museum while practicing your parseltongue.
2009 September 22, Paretsky, Sara, Hardball: A V.I. Warshawski Novel, New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, ISBN 9781101133828, OL 24271651M:
- “Parseltongue, that's what I need,” I murmured out loud as I brushed my teeth. A language for communicating with snakes.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:parseltongue.