Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (colloquial) Shortened form of what did.
- What'd he say to you?
- (colloquial) Shortened form of what would.
1902, George Horton, The Long Straight Road, page 348:
- I don't want to get good. What'd my wife say?
1916, David Graham Phillips, The second generation, page 229:
- What'd you have said a few months ago, Ranger?
1958, People Will Talk, page 39:
- What'd he have done?
2004, Hand in Hand with Tommy, page 171:
- What'd the neighbors say if they knew I was actually a Jew?
- (colloquial) Shortened form of what had.