Appendix:Glossary of dental terms
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- alveolar bone
- A ridge on the surface of a teeth-bearing bone, such as maxilla and mandible in humans, that contains the tooth sockets.
- A prosthesis replacing one or several adjacent teeth.
- In heterodont mammals, the pointy tooth between the incisors and the premolars; a cuspid.
- The progressive destruction of bone or tooth by decay.
- A soft area in a decayed tooth.
- A bony substance that covers the root of a tooth; cement
- A prosthetic covering for a tooth.
- The study, diagnosis and treatment of diseases of teeth and surrounding tissues.
- dry socket
- An inflammation, usually acutely painful, of the alveolar bone following extraction of a tooth.
- The hard covering on the exposed part of a tooth.
- A removal of a tooth from its socket.
- A piece of amalgam used to fill a cavity in a tooth.
- A misalignment of the upper and lower sets of teeth.
- The lower jaw, especially the lower jawbone.
- Either of the two bones that together form the upper jaw.
- A back tooth having a broad surface used for grinding one's food.
- One of the front teeth of mammals, between the canines.
- A malocclusion, in which the upper teeth extend over the lower ones.
- A specialty of dentistry concerned with correcting misalignment of teeth.
- The study of supporting structures of teeth—gums, alveolar bone, cementum, and the periodontal ligament—and diseases and conditions that affect them.
- Any of a number of inflammatory diseases affecting the periodontium—the tissues that surround and support the teeth.
- The specialized tissues that both surround and support the teeth, maintaining them in the maxillary and mandibular bones; the tissues including alveolar bone, cementum, gums and periodontal ligament.
- The soft center of a tooth.
- The surgical removal of part of the dental pulp.
- root canal
- The hollow part of the root of a tooth containing the nerve and blood vessels.
- A hard, calcareous structure present in the mouth of many vertebrate animals, generally used for eating.
- tooth socket
- A socket in the jaw in which the roots of teeth are held in the alveolar process of maxilla with the periodontal ligament.
- A malocclusion, in which the lower teeth extend past the upper ones.
- wisdom tooth
- One of the four (one upper and one lower on each side) rearmost molars in humans, which typically develop between ages 18-24.